torsdag 17 januari 2008

HÄLSNINGAR FRÅN GUATEMALA


Kaffet från Guatemala som serveras i en av bryggarna på rosteriet kommer från Finca La Merced och produceras av bonden Juan Luis Barrios som var och hälsade på i juni här i Malmö. Idag fick jag ett brev från Juan som jag kände för att dela med mig av:

Hi Filip,

Wishing you a prosperous new year, full of blessings for you and your family. It's been a while since I've contacted you, and I'm very sorry for that. I'd like to see if you have skype or msn, so that we can chat and I don't fall behind on my e-mails.

I hope you've been able to meet my cousin again on his trips to Malmo. He spoke very highly of you the last time I saw him here in Dec.

I wanted to give you an update on the harvest. We will finally be starting the harvest tomorrow, Thursday. The weather has been a bit cloudy the past weeks, so it has delayed the harvest a bit. We would have normally started Monday last week.

It seems that we will be well over our average harvest, but definitely below last year's record. Although we are starting a few days late, we should be ending the harvest by Apr. 11.

We will be processing approx. 450 kg of green coffee at my uncle's mill. This should give us a good lot for selection for CoE and for you to sample. We will only be processing bourbon variety with him.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go through the project of natural processing this year. I had a few changes that needed to be made in other areas, and won't have the personnel necessary to run this project. I have to try and get it done in next year's harvest.

If there's anything else you want me to go into more detail, please feel free to let me know, and I'll be happy to respond. Sorry again for the delay in getting back to you.

Saludos,
Juan Luis